Thursday 25 April 2013

Sticky & Spicy Chicken WeightWatchers Style


Lightly spicy fried chicken in sweet and sticky sauce on a bed of jeweled rice.  
Who needs take aways?



I've had a longing for something like this for a while now.  This week was a really busy week for me and I really needed something quick and easy.  Ive made this twice this week, once with chicken and once with pork, both delicious.  The pork was a little bit more time consuming but with the chicken you could have this meal ready in less than 30 minutes.  

Firstly the rice I used for this was one of Slice of Slim's creations, it was cauliflour rice.  Now, me being the carb fiend that I am, was very dubious about not having any actual rice, so what I did was, mixed the cauliflour rice with 3 propoints worth of actual basmati rice.  I have to say that it was really delicious.

It was more like coucous for me and it really be gorgeous with couscous, but maybe I over processed it a little.  I was really satisfied with it and was not hungry at all.  I suppose that we really do eat with our eyes,  I added chopped spring onion to the rice mix with a little salt and pepper and it was delicious.  If your looking for the recipe for the cauliflour rice just go to Slice of Slim who's based in the UK and makes gorgeous food. 

I adapted the sticky and spice recipe from www.life-as-a-lofthouse.blogspot.com which I found on Pinterest.  The recipe was already WeightWatchers friendly but I did adapt it to suit my own taste. 


WeightWatchers Propoints per serving 4
WeightWatchers Propoints per recipe 14
Serves 4

Ingredients

2 medium chicken breasts
Salt & pepper
1 Tbl of garlic granules
1 Tbl of ginger granules
1 tsp chili flakes
1 Tbl of cornflour
1 egg white beaten
Spray Oil

For the sauce

1.5 Tbl of sugar
2 Tbl of ketchup
2 Tbl rice wine vinegar
2 Tbl dark soy sauce
1 Tbl of garlic granules
1 tsp of ginger granules
1/2 tsp salt

Directions 

Make up the sauce first by mixing all of the sauce ingredients together.  Stir to combine and set aside.

Dice the chicken breast.  Season the chicken with the spices and herbs.  Sprinkle the corn flour over the chicken and toss until evenly coated.  Pour the beaten egg white over the chicken and toss to combine.

In a large wok or non stick pan, mist with spray oil over a hot heat, don't let the oil smoke but make sure it's nice and hot.  Add the chicken and stir constantly until just cooked.  This should only take about 4-5 minutes at the most. 

Reduce the heat down to medium.  Pour the sauce over the chicken and stir to coat and continue to stir for about 3-4 minutes.  The sauce will start to thicken by this stage and then its ready. 

Serve with rice or cauliflour rice.  I added peppers, sping onion and some grated carrots to my rice for veg and to bulk it out even more and it was delicious. 





Enjoy the Niptuck way, so you don't have to!


No comments:

Post a Comment