Friday 18 January 2013

Cashew Chicken, Weight Watchers Fake Away



Succulent pieces of chicken, onions and peppers smothered in a nutty sauce, on a bed of noodles.

I'm not a huge fan of Chinese take away, I have no reason except that afterwards I never feel that great.  I generally just feel bloated, but every now and then I get a hankering for Chinese and I do indulge.  

Then one day while browsing the internet, I came across a site that had a lot of Chinese dishes and they all looked so nice and quite simple.  Today, I decided that I was going to try one of them. 

If your looking for the original recipe please visit www.rasamalaysia.com 

I chose cashew chicken because I had all of the ingredients on hand. I was not expecting much but I was really pleasantly surprised.  It really was easy and It was definitely tasty and my kids, leaving out the nuts, loved it. 

To make this dish lower in Propoints, I used the Oodles of Noodles.  I just didn't add the seasoning because it was curry seasoning and it worked so well. 

Weight Watchers Propoints per serving 9
Weight Watchers Propoints per recipe 17
Serves 2

Ingredients 

2 chicken breasts

12 unsalted cashew nuts

1 small green bell pepper(cut into small 

square pieces)

5 slices ginger or 2 teaspoons of ground

ginger

1/4 onion (cut into small square pieces) 

Marinade

1 teaspoon bread soda

1 teaspoon corn flour


1/2 teaspoon rice wine or dry white wine



Sauce 


1/2 tablespoon oyster sauce

3/4 teaspoon soy sauce


3 tablespoons water


3 dashes white pepper powder


1/2 teaspoon sugar


1/2 teaspoon rice wine or dry white wine


1/8 teaspoon sesame oil


Salt to taste


Spray Oil

2 packs of Oodles of Noodles (do not use the

seasoning sachet but cook as directed)



Directions


Marinate the chicken with the bread soda for 

15-20 minutes and then rinse the chicken 

thoroughly. 


Pat the chicken meat dry with paper towels and 

then marinate with the rice wine and corn

flour, for 15 minutes.


Mix the sauce together and set aside.

Heat up a wok misting with spray oil and stir-

fry the chicken meat until the color turns

white or half-cooked. Dish out and set aside.

Mist again with a little spray oil and add in

the ginger slices, bell peppers and onions.

Stir-fry until you smell the peppery aroma

from the green peppers and add the chicken

meat back in.


Add in the sauce and stir continuously until

the chicken meat is cooked and well coated

with the sauce. Add salt to taste, if you

like.


Cook the noodles now. 


Add in the cashew nuts and do a few quick

stirs. Dish out and serve the Cashew Chicken

hot with 1 pack of noodles per serving 



Enjoy the Niptuck way, so you don't have to!

7 comments:

  1. what is bread soda? and where do you get it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bread soda is also called baking soda but if you go to any supermarket and ask for either bread soda or baking soda they will be able to point it out to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. For the US - bread soda is baking soda and corn flour is corn starch (I had to look both up).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Where do you buy oodles of noodles?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Ros, I got the Oodles of Noodles in the shop Mr. Price, not all of them have it but if you ask them they will get them in for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much like the way you have provided some extremely useful information about weight watchers. Thanks for sharing some extremely useful and effective information. By the way let me share my personal experience. There was a time when I gained almost 39 pounds of extra body weight and was desperately trying to reduce that. I took up different type of fat burning exercise but all that went in vein. Then I came across this pill: Lean Belly Breakthrough. I took this pill and lost almost 39 pounds within a few weeks. That’s really amazing isn’t it?

    ReplyDelete