Sunday 24 February 2013

Weight Watchers Friendly Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta

Perfect for a meat free meal


Pasta, smothered in a creamy tomato sauce with chunks of sun dried tomatoes woven in through the pasta.  Comfort food at its best. 



I have not posted for a few days because I have been really sick with the flu and still am.  I really wish it would just bugger off as it is not wanted but at least the rest of the house has not got it, which is a god send because being sick yourself is bad enough but being sick and being a mammy to sick children is horrible so at least I have that to be grateful of. 

Anyway, another joy to me being sick is that I was put right off my food and have been living off toast or porridge because it was the only thing that didn't hurt.  So, how do I know that I'm on the mend?  I'm famished.  Clear indicator that the old me is returning.  I'm really needing carbs.  I'm craving them.  So there I was browsing the internet when I seen this and I thought, that is exactly what I want.  

I found it on the site Table for Two which is a gorgeous blog of fabulous food and the pictures are to die for, proper photography.   You can also get the original recipe on the above link, because I changed it a little, for 1 I had very little ingredients on hand and 2 to Niptuck it into a more Weight watchers friendly meal. 

I must warn you that there is very little in the way of vegetable in this dish but you could always add the spinach as per the original recipe or else broccoli would be delicious in this. 

Weight watchers Propoints per serving 8
Weight watchers Propoints per recipe 32
Serves 4 

Ingredients

240g Spaghetti or fettuccine
1 cup reserved pasta water (not an accurate amount just use a normal mug or cup)
1 Tbl Olive Oil
5 cloves garlic crushed
6 sun dried tomatoes not in oil, soaked in warm water for 5 minutes
1 can of chopped tomatoes (I used the Italian tomatoes from Superquinn but any will do)
2 Tbl tomato paste
6 measured Tbl of Weight-watchers Fresh Cream
1.5 Tbl of Weight-watchers Sour Cream
Salt & Pepper to taste
Chili flakes optional

Directions

Cook pasta according to pack instructions for Al dente.  Reserve a cupful of the pasta water.  In a large saute pan, over a medium heat, add the oil, when hot, not smoking but hot, add the garlic and sun dried tomatoes and saute for about 2 minutes until fragrant.

In a small bowl, mix the Weight-watchers fresh cream and the sour cream together and set aside. 

Lower the heat down to medium and little by little stir in the chopped tomatoes and the paste until combined.  Slowly pour in the cream mix and whisk with a good amount of speed so that it combines well.  Season with salt and pepper to taste and allow to simmer over a low heat for about 5 minutes. 

After draining and reserving some of the pasta water.  Add the pasta to the tomato cream mix and toss to incorporate.  If the cream mix is to thick, add a tablespoon at a time of the pasta water, until you have the desired consistency.  I only used 2 Tablespoons of the water.  

Divide the pasta between 4 bowls and serve.  I added some freshly grated parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of basil but add the extra pro points if you do!



Enjoy the Niptuck way, so you don't have to!    


  

3 comments:

  1. Love your blog it was recently mentioned at one of our meetings. I log on almost every day to get inspiration from your fab recipes and most useful pieces of advice. Thank you. Good luck with your climb :) N.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks gorgeous, I love pasta recipes x

    ReplyDelete