Weightwatchers Hot Cross Buns
I know Easter is all about the chocolate, however if by a stroke of luck chocolate is not your thing then maybe these would be.
With the children off for the Easter Holidays maybe a bit of baking might occupy them for a few hours seen as the weather has turned Baltic?
Sticky and sweat Hot Cross Buns with raisins, all for a Weightwatchers ProPoints value of 3.
I tweaked this recipes from one of Delia Smiths recipes.
Hot cross bunsServes: 11
Preparation Time: 120 minutes
- 1 tablespoon, dry Yeast
- 2 tablespoons Water, tap
- 1 teaspoon Sugar, white, confectioner's, powdered
- 230 grams Flour, white
- 2 tsps Mixed Spice
- 4 tablespoons Sugar, white, granulated or lump divided into 2 (2 Tbl)
- 1 medium Egg
- 40mls Milk (fat free or skim)
- 2 Tablespoons Flora Pro Active (melted)
- 3 miniature boxes (.5 oz) Raisins (Like the kids packs of raisins)
- 2 Tbl Water
For the Dough
- Make the 150 mls of water hand warm.
- Add in the teaspoon of caster sugar.
- Add in the yeast and leave it until a beer like head of froth appears
- Sift the flour, salt and mixed spice into a bowl. Add 2 Tbl of sugar, and the raisins. Make a well in the middle of the bowl. Add the yeast mixture, the melted flora the beaten egg and the milk.
- With a wooden spoon mix the ingredients together and finishing off using your hands
- Turn out and kneed for about 6 minutes until it becomes elastic and spongy. Place back into the bowl and cover with a plastic bag and leave in a warm place for 1 hour for the dough to rise so that it doubles in size
- Turn out and kneed again until dough returns to its original size and make 11 buns from the dough. With a knife make a deep cross in each bun. Cover again in plastic for 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to gas mark 7 Place buns in the oven leaving room for them to expand and bake for 15 minutes
For the sticky mix
- While the buns are baking, pour 2 Tbl of water into a pan and add 2 Tbl of sugar, place over a low heat and stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove buns from the oven and immediately brush the sugar and water mix over each bun to make them lovely and sticky.
Enjoy the Niptuck way so you don't have too!
Nutrition Info (per serving)