Wednesday 20 March 2013

Sausage Meatballs


Meaty, lightly spiced mince meatballs, beautiful with some creamy mashed potatoes.


I want to remind any of you that were thinking of climbing Carrountoohil with me, its the 29th of April, partners are welcome, because really it's just a personal challenge for me and my husband and for whoever would like to join us.  

I am not a climber and this will be a huge challenge to me, so if you, like myself, have never climbed, don't be put off, it's an attempt.  If you are interested, please let me know either over facebook or by commenting below.

Back to the recipe now.

A lot of people were asking me If there was an alternative to spice burgers for the Meatloaf as they didn't have access to Spice Burgers.   Well after much research, I don't think that there is really as Spice Burgers are quite unique.  However, I was thinking what would give the mince a nice flavor to use instead.  Sausages. 

I don't really eat sausages, I love the smell of them but I usually don't eat them.  I have no reason for this, it's a just because food? 

Anyway, I was watching Alan Titchmarch a week or 2 ago and they showed sausages stuffed with leek and it got me thinking.  Don't laugh at the Alan Titchmarch show, I was house bound with 2 children covered in chicken pox and I myself had shingles, so, it was light entertainment and a break from Peppa Pig. 

It really got me thinking of a really flavoursome burger and I thought I could work with it.  The results were delicious and I will definitely be making these again, soon. 

Weight Watchers Propoints per serving 2
Weight Watchers Propoints per recipes 16
Serves 8

Ingredients

2 leeks sliced thinly
1 Tbl Flora ProActive Light

300g of 95% Fat Free minced beef
4 Denny Reduced Fat sausages
Half an onion chopped small
1 egg white
Salt & pepper to taste
1 Tbl of Barbecue seasoning
Spray Oil

Directions

In a large saute pan, melt the butter over a low to medium heat, add the leeks, season with salt and pepper.  Allow it  to soften for about 5 minutes over a low heat.  

Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

Break up the mince in a bowl.  Remove the skin from the sausages.  Mash the sausage into the mince.  Add the chopped onion and the cooled leeks.  season with salt and pepper and add the seasonings.  Mix together.

Whisk the egg white with a fork, pour into the mix and stir to combine.  Place the mix in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. 

Preheat the oven to gas mark 6. 

Divide the mix into 8 burgers.  Mist a large saute pan, mist with a little spray oil and place over a medium to high heat.  

Place the burgers onto the hot pan and cook for 4 minutes on each side, transfer to a baking tray.  Place in the oven for 20 minutes. 

Serve and enjoy with some creamy mashed potatoes and some broccoli.



Enjoy the Niptuck way, so you don't have to!

1 comment:

  1. They look gorgeous, would be brilliant for a family dinner too, I really like meatballs but have been avoiding the mince ones. Best of luck for the climb!

    ReplyDelete